Buying a home is one of the most important financial decisions of your life. Knowing and understanding which home mortgage loan type to choose is critical.
The first step is choosing the right type of loan. Fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages are the most common, but there are also Veteran Affairs, Federal Housing Administration, balloon, interest-only and reverse mortgages. Thus, the best choice will depend on your financial position, the state of the economy and your willingness to take a risk.
There are several questions you should ask yourself when deciding on a loan:
- How long do you plan to be living in that particular house?
- Are you willing to take financial risks?
- Are there restrictions associated with the loan options?
- Are there any penalties you will incur?
Below is a quick rundown of the mortgage options you will most likely see:
30 Year Fixed Rate Mortgage
- Helps you purchase a more expensive home that meets the families real needs, and allows you to pay for it over time.
- Has an increased tax deduction because you’re paying more annual interest.
- Provides flexibility for families with fluctuating monthly income by allowing them to pay more or less based on their monthly cash-flow.
15 Year Fixed Rate Mortgage
- Homeowners are able to pay off their home faster while also earning equity faster, which helps support their overall financial plan.
- Homeowners will be able to save interest, which adds up significantly over 30 years.
- A 15 year mortgage allows families to align their mortgage with significant life events such as retirement or a college education.
At Zeus, we offer a customized mortgage term, which allows families to pick their monthly payment first and their term second in order for the mortgage to fit your needs. Also, some homeowners have a fear of refinancing due to not wanting to start a 30-year term all over again. However, with our customizable terms, you can have a lower interest rate and a lower monthly payment. For example, a family who has already paid their 30-year mortgage for four years can simply use out automized mortgage to refinance for 26 years while lowering their monthly payment and/or interest rate.